"Are you so busy in life, that you missed the UNLIMITED LOVE, that came searching for you?"

Monday 5 June, 2006

The Good Shepherd

Once upon a time, there was a lamb. It was amongst a flock of hundred on a countryside. It was happy with the best shepherd in the country. He took care of the flock, led them to the most beautiful green pastures, and took them to the sweetest of fresh waters.

The shepherd was very fond of this lamb; as he was of the other ninety-nine. Whenever the lamb heard His voice, it would leap with joy and run towards him. And it always found comfort and rest on the bosom of the shepherd.

Time went on and days passed by, and as the lamb was growing it started getting disturbed by the distractions of the world around and the growing curiosity to experience new things. "I am not supposed to be bound by these restrictions. I want freedom!! I want to go anywhere I want, and to have anything I like to eat and drink." Growing enthusiasm to explore greener pastures and to enjoy freedom led it to think of even breaking the boundaries and flee. And one day it did!!!

The gates of a new sizzling world opened before the lamb. The new world impressed it with its amazing colours, pastures much more beautiful than those the shepherd would lead the flock to, and waters that tasted sweeter. It had stomachful of food and drink, and merried around in its newly found place.

Though tasty and sweet, it realized that these food and drink were not so really satisfying its hunger and thirst. And the fun he had here could not match the joyful company of the other ninety nine. And above all, it dearly missed the loving smile and caring hands of the shepherd. "How good I used to feel in his presence!!! And how lonely I am now!!"

The lamb wanted to return to the shepherd and his flock. But soon it realized that it has lost the way. It did not know which direction to go. The way was rough, and it got tired as it went around madly looking for the right way. And then it happened.... It got caught in a thorny bush. It tried to get out, but all efforts were in vain. Every time it tried, the cuts in the body got deeper, and it lost all its hope. Overcome with weakness, fear and tiredness, it fell unconscious.

After a while the lamb opened the eyes. It found itself no longer in that thorny bush, but in a cozy green riverside. It was pleasantly surprised to see his loving shepherd soaking his towel in the cool waters. He came back soon. There were cuts in his hands. He got those while rescuing the lamb. The lamb watched him cleaning the wounds gently and kissing them with his typical tender love. Seeing that it regained consciousness, he gave it a beautiful smile. His eyes were not complaining, but were full of joy, for at last he found out his dear one.

The lamb, initially embarrassed to have showed up in this pathetic situation, now regained confidence and asked its dear shepherd - "How did you find me?" "I was noting the change in your attitudes. So I was keeping an eye over you, for I did not want to lose you. I love you so much!!" It listened to him as he replied with his eyes filled. The lamb too could not stop tears falling.

"When I saw you running away I called you. But your ears were closed to my voice. I followed you, leaving behind the other ninety-nine, for how do you think I can stay happy without you my little one?!!!" The shepherd gave it a warm hug, which the lamb could never forget in its lifetime. He carried it on his shoulders. When they reached home, the other ninety-nine saw him dancing and shouting with joy - "I've found it, I've found my dear one.." They joined the shepherd in celebration and welcomed back the lost lamb they loved so dearly.

What a good shepherd he is!!! Even now when he finds some of his sheep behaving indifferently, he ensures them of his great love. Or when some are lost, he walks miles to find them out. He doesn't lay aside any effort to bring them back. He strengthens with his love those good sheep which obey him, teaches them how to be better in character. He entrusts them with others, which need more attention. With a shepherd like him, they don't have anything to worry about. Neither thieves nor wild animals could do any harm to them, for the shepherd protects them and keeps them in safe places.

Today this tender love, care and protection of the GOOD SHEPHERD speaks in silence to His sheep - "Where are you going? I have the Words of Eternal Life. And I am the Way the Truth and the Life. I am the Good Shepherd, and I even lay my life for you. And you shall not be in want..." - Jn 6:68, Jn 14:11, Jn 10:11, Ps 23:1

No comments: